SAMHSA has published substate estimates available, the latest being 2012-2014. From the SAMHSA data page, https://www.samhsa.gov/data/, click on the “Substate” tab.
- The latest set of substate estimates is available here:
- Substate region definitions are available here:
- Substate region shapefiles for use with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software are available here: https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUHsubstateShapeFile2014/NSDUHsubstateShapeFile2014.htm
- The RDAS tool includes county and substate identifiers, but estimates for these geographies can only be produced for several years of combined data.
- Access to city- or county- level microdata is only available through the Data Portal and typically requires pooling multiple years of data.