I need help logging into MyData account and changing my e-mail address and password.

Logging into your MyData Account

The only time the SAMHDA website requires users to log in using a MyData account is for access to the R-DAS. When prompted to log in to the R-DAS on the "Log into SAMHDA" page, select the "Login via MyData" option to log in using your MyData account.

Changing your E-mail Address

  1. Login to the R-DAS.
  2. In the upper-right corner of the SAMHDA website, click your name to open the "Edit Settings" page.
  3. Click the "Change your password" link to change your password.

Recovering/Resetting your Password

  1. On the "Log into SAMHDA" page, click the "Request your password to be sent to you via e-mail" link and follow the instructions on the next page.
  2. After you receive the e-mail, you can then change the password.

Locked out?

For assistance with MyData, please contact the Help Desk at samhda-support@samhsa.hhs.gov.