The N-SSATS is a database of facilities, not clients or admissions. Thus, calculating client counts/admissions using one of the client counts/admissions variables may produce unexpected results.
The client counts and admissions variables are listed in the following sections of the codebook:
- Section B: Reporting Client Counts
- Hospital inpatient client counts
- Residential (non-hospital) client counts
- Outpatient client counts
- Totals and percentages (excluding the variables that give percentages)
- Section 7: Added variables
To correctly calculate client counts or admissions, perform the following steps:
- Access N-SSATS within SDA.
- Go to the "Analysis" menu (top left) and select "Comparison of Means."
- For the "Dependent" variable, specify one of the client counts or admissions variables. For example, specify "T_METH" for the total number of methadone clients on the reference date.
- Specify an appropriate "Row" variable, such as "STFIPS" for the state.
- Specify the "Column," "Control," and "Selection Filter(s)" variables, as needed. For example, under "Selection Filter(s)," enter "YEAR(2010), OTP(1)" to restrict analysis to the year 2010 and to facilities that operated a certified opioid treatment program.
- Set the "Main statistic to display" to "Totals (numerator of means)".
- Under "Table Options," uncheck all of the checkboxes.
- Make any other adjustments to the display options that are necessary. For example, if you do not want a chart, then change "Type of Chart" to "(No Chart)."
- Click "Run the Table." The output table from this example gives the total number of methadone clients on the reference date by state in 2010 in facilities that operated a certified opioid treatment program.